Punk Frockers March Challenge


February was not a sewing month for me. 

The only thing I made from beginning to end was a a prototype for washable fabric menstrual pads. I made the pattern by tracing the crotch from a pair of underwear and freehanding the wing additions, using several layers of scrap flannel and linen. They worked okay for light days, but I really need to add a waterproof barrier.



So, yup, I am behind on sewing schedule, and I wanted to participate in Sew Natural Dane's Black history month sewing challenge to sew up a pattern by Black pattern designer and that didn't happen either. I'll have to make a Black designer's sewing pattern later this year (it will probably be for Christmas and the pattern will probably be the Lima Dress by Kosedo Studios which was recently featured in my Plus Size Cottagecore Dress Patterns post).

But I did stumble across a new sewing podcast called Punk Frockers this week, and they have a sewing challenge for March that is inspiring me a little, and I can use to check off an item for my sewing schedule.

"Introduce yourself to the Punk Frockers community with a garment. It could be a favorite pattern, fabric, style, finishing – whatever you think would give us some insight to who you are. Use the #pfWhoAreYou and tag @punkfrockers to be eligible for a prize!"

The next item on my schedule is the Easter/Pentecost dress that I want to be finished by April 1. And since I've already been contemplating how to make the outfit reflect my personality, my ethnicity, and my journey in faith it seems like I'm primed for this challenge.

I am torn between 2 different very simple designs:



The first idea I have is a knee-length version of the reform dress pattern, originally shared by Fanny for the #ReformDressChallenge. If I made this one, I would embroider the hem, the ends of the sleeves, and around the neck. 

The second idea is knee-length a full circle dress, but with a simple billowy sleeves shirt underneath. Were I to make this one, the embroidery would be on the shirt.

Either way I will be making a petticoat to give the dresses fullness, and a mask and round pleat auto gele in matching fabric to the dress.


We'll see how March goes.


Comments